Wednesday, September 8, 2010

WANT TO BOOST YOUR BRAIN POWER?
Who doesn't?  And researchers find that there are foods that can help: 
"Just like the right diet can prevent heart disease, high blood pressure, or cancer, health experts are finding that certain foods may boost your mind.  Although there is no current treatment proven to cure Alzheimer's disease or dementia, there are foods that play a positive role in overall mind health.  The Alzheimer's Association refers to a "brain-healthy diet" as "one that reduces the risk of heart disease and diabetes, encourages good blood flow to the brain, and is low in fat and cholesterol."

The foods include:  blackberries; extra virgin olive oil; coffee; chocolate; cinnamon; spinach; salmon; apples; curry; and concord grape juice.  It's making me hungry...

DO YOU DREAM?
Many people do.  I know I do, and many of my Moebius friends do...sometimes the dreams are not so bad, sometimes they are ("night terrors" can be one facet of Moebius, especially for the young).  So what can dreams mean?  Research these days is shedding some light:
" In the world of sleep research, dreams are something of a black box. But one tidbit that scientists have discerned is the peculiar but predictable pattern in which dreams tend to occur.  Research suggests that much of what happens in a dream is unique to that dream. But some events from a person’s day can be incorporated into dreams in two stages.  First there is the “day residue” stage, in which emotional events may work their way into a person’s dreams that night. But that is followed by the more mysterious “dream lag” effect, in which those events disappear from the dream landscape — often to be reincorporated roughly a week later. This lag has been documented in studies dating to the 1980s.  A 2004 study in The Journal of Sleep Research began to shed some light on this cycle. Researchers reviewed the journals of 470 people who recorded their dreams over a week. The dream-lag effect was strongest among people who viewed their dreams as a chance for self-understanding; their dreams often involved the resolution of problems or emotions tied to relationships.  The researchers speculated that the delayed dreams were the mind’s way of working through interpersonal difficulties and even “reformulating” negative memories into more positive ones. Other studies have also shown a connection between dreams and this type of emotional memory processing."




So the process through which we work through our dreams?  It can be a longer one than we think.



"...my face is a gift, because my shadow side is on the outside where I have had to learn to deal with it.  I know that other people are inspired by the simple fact that I have learned to deal with it, and that I accept myself.  And as much as I have learned to see myself as I am, and to have faith in myself, I also see mirrored the beauty of others--especially those who share their stories with me--to accept them as flawed just as I accept flaws."--David Roche, THE CHURCH OF 80% SINCERITY.

No comments:

Post a Comment