Friday, September 10, 2010

COFFEE'S ON--AND UP:
"You may soon find yourself paying more for your morning coffee - if you aren't already.  A trifecta of bad news has sent coffee futures soaring 44% since June, and companies such as Dunkin' Donuts, Green Mountain and Maxwell House are passing on those costs.  Bad weather in South America is threatening crops. Brazil and top exporter Vietnam are talking about hoarding their stocks. And U.S. stockpiles are reportedly at 10-year lows.  That means higher prices for U.S. coffee companies, which, in turn, may mean higher prices for consumers.  Bagged coffee from Folgers, Dunkin' Donuts and Millstone already costs 10% more. The three brands' parent company, J.M. Smucker (SJM), cited "sustained increases in green coffee costs" in announcing the price hike last month."

That's for all my Moebius coffee-drinking friends, and I know there are a number of them.  And for you guys' sakes, I hope the rising price of your morning joe doesn't last long...

MOEBIUS QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"Sometimes I wish I could smile, especially at people that I really like and care about. But I do smile just in a different way, I usually like to hug or touch my friends to show I care. I know I have to be careful about this, because some people think it's weird or inappropriate. So I only hug people I know well...Having a disability can be challenging at times, but it also can be a positive thing. I believe having a disability has made me a stronger person in different ways. It has helped me to be more compassionate and understanding of people. I feel that I’m a deeper person and see beneath the surface rather than superficially. I know I’m here for a reason and that I want to teach about love and compassion and appreciating differences....I believe compassion is a deep understanding. Many people have misconceptions of compassion. They think of giving money or trying to fix someone is the answer. Sometimes there are things in life that cannot be fixed. Compassion is spending time with someone and learning to look and to love beyond the difference to the heart and soul. Each disabled person is different, and you have to love the difference. Compassion is the fashion.  So what if I look a little different? So what if I don’t have feet? So what if I'm a little slow, a little more sensitive, and a little more affectionate than other people? That is who I am. All I want to be is loved and accepted for who I am, and that on the inside I have feelings just like anybody else. I don’t want people to be sad about the things I can’t do. I want them to be glad about the things I can do."--Theresa McMillan, from "The Many Faces of Moebius Syndrome" website.  So well-stated!

And finally on this football Friday, it's time for...
My football picks!  This week we'll do both some college and some pro games.  I didn't do so well last week, so it's time to get better.
COLLEGE FOOTBALL:

Penn State at Alabama:  gotta go with the CRIMSON TIDE here.  The Nittany Lions are playing a true freshman quarterback, on the road for the first time, at Alabama against that fearsome defense.  Not a good combination...

Miami at Ohio State:  I pick the BUCKEYES in this one.  They're at home, where they are always tough, and Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor is playing well.

Michigan at Notre Dame:  I absolutely have no clue here.  I grew up in Michigan and grew up loving the Wolverines.  I'd love to pick 'em; but their defense scares me (because it's so porous).  Meanwhile ND looked OK against Purdue last week, but hardly awesome.  I suspect Notre Dame has the edge tomorrow because they're at home.

Texas Tech vs New Mexico.  Not only should Tech and its high-flying offense win this game; but it could put up an awesome point total.  How do we know?  Well, last week New Mexico played Oregon...and gave up a whopping 72 points.

THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE:
Here I will pick games against the spread...which is tougher!

Miami is favored by 5 over Buffalo.  My pick:  DOLPHINS (meaning I'm predicting they'll win by MORE than 5).  This game is in Buffalo, but the Dolphins appear to have upgraded their talent, and the Bills have lots of problems.

New York Giants 3 over Carolina.  My pick:  GIANTS.  Carolina (in Matt Moore) just doesn't in my opinion have a quarterback who's good enough, nor does it have the receivers they need.  And I predict the Giants will bounce back from the horrible way they ended last season.

Atlanta 1.5 over Pittsburgh.  My pick:  FALCONS.  Yes, this game is in Pittsburgh.  But due to injuries and suspensions the Steelers will have to rely on 3rd-stringer Dennis Dixon as their quarterback, and while he shows flashes of promise, I predict his inexperience will lead to turnovers that will really help the solid Falcons bunch.

Green Bay 4.5 over Philadelphia.  My pick:  PACKERS.  Because I think Aaron Rodgers and that Green Bay offense appear to be so well in sync.

Dallas 2 over Washington.  My pick:  COWBOYS.  Not because of Tony Romo and the Dallas O.  I predict they'll struggle; they don't appear to all be on the same page yet.  But neither will be Donovan McNabb and Mike Shanahan and the Redskins' offense...and that Dallas defense will shut them down.  It will be the Cowboys' D that will win this game.

San Diego 7.5 over Kansas City.  My pick:  CHIEFS (upset special!).  I like the Chiefs in this game.  They're at home.  The Chargers have a history of slow starts.  The Chiefs seem to have progressed in their 2nd year under coach Todd Haley.  I think 7 points is way too much here; the Chiefs will keep this one close.

No comments:

Post a Comment