Monday, September 13, 2010

A PAT ON THE BACK, AND DON'T FORGET THAT HEARTY HANDSHAKE:
Did you know?  Having a firm handshake is a sign you might live longer:
"A firm handshake could be a sign of a longer life expectancy, according to British researchers.  Scientists at the Medical Research Council found that elderly people who could still give a firm handshake and walk at a brisk pace were likely to outlive their slower peers.  They found simple measures of physical capability like shaking hands, walking, getting up from a chair and balancing on one leg were related to life span, even after accounting for age, sex and body size. The study is the first to provide a comprehensive view of the existing research by pooling data from 33 studies."

I found this interesting...because I, when I was younger, had a hard time with this kind of thing.  When I was i my teens especially, I knew my face was different.  I wasn't happy about it; I didn't enjoy the staring, and I always feared it was coming.  So when it was time to shake hands, I didn't like to look people directly in the face...and that probably affected my handshake, made it a bit weaker.  I wonder if other persons with Moebius have ever had the same experience.  When it's time to shake hands with someone, do you kind of look at the floor?  Is your grip a little weak?  It's a hard thing to overcome.  I've tried to do so; I don't know if I've been completely successful.  But we need to keep trying; we'll live longer!

"In every triumph there's a lot of try." -Frank Tyger

No comments:

Post a Comment