Friday, September 24, 2010

TV TIP
Watch for this next spring--cuz hey, can't we all use a little love and life-coaching, be we young or old???:
"PBS is collaborating on an adult "Sesame Street" -- and it has nothing to do with the Katy Perry boob brouhaha.
Called "Next Avenue," the series -- and corresponding Web site -- aims to help teach baby boomers how to handle their lives now that they've reached middle age, much the way the preschool TV show teaches kids their A-B-Cs.
Twin Cities Public Television, in conjunction with American Public Television and PBS, has already put together $5 million in grant money for the series, which is due to launch in the spring.  "We are designing 'Next Avenue' to be a virtual life coach for baby boomers," Twin Cities Public Television president Jim Pagliarini told Broadcasting & Cable. "It will also challenge them to see the opportunities life holds after 45."

At the very least, we'll learn not to be grouches, right???

FRIDAY FOOTBALL PICKS
For all my fellow fans out there...
I need to do better than last week.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
#1 Alabama at Arkansas.  My pick:  'BAMA.  Arkansas is the sexy pick to pull an upset here.  Not so fast--yes, the Hogs have a great QB in Ryan Mallett and are at home.  But the Crimson Tide know something about playing in and winning big games, and they have an effective offense that doesn't make mistakes.  

West Virginia vs LSU.  My pick:  MOUNTAINEERS.  LSU has problems at QB and thus with their offense.  And ever since their big comeback win over Marshall, WVU has begun to roll.  

TCU at Southern Methodist.  My pick:  HORNED FROGS.  Again, some see SMU, definitely an improved team and playing at home, as the trendy upset pick here.  Not me--TCU is powerful on both sides of the ball, and I think they'll pile up lots of points in this game.

NFL PICKS

San Francisco is a 2 point favorite playing at Kansas City.  My pick:  CHIEFS.  They're at home, and improved; and San Fran is coming off a tough loss in a Monday night game, thus giving them a short week of prep.

New England at home 13 over Buffalo.  My pick:  PATRIOTS.  Because they're bound to play better after their bad meltdown in New York, and Buffalo just isn't good at all.

Pittsburgh 4 over Tampa Bay.  My pick:  STEELERS.  This one makes you think, because Tampa has improved, is a surprising 2-0, and is at home.  But that Steelers' defense is playing tremendous football.  I'd be surprised if they don't hold the Bucs to 7 points or less in this game.

Houston at home 5 over Dallas.  My pick:  COWBOYS.  Not to win.  But to lose by a field goal or less.  The Cowboys have too much talent and are too desperate not to be highly competitive in this game.  But the Texans have talent of their own and are much improved; and I think they'll find a way to pull this game out late.

Philadelphia 5 over Jacksonville.  My pick:  EAGLES.  This game is at Jacksonville.  But the Jaguars' defense leaves much to be desired.  Meanwhile, Eagles' QB Michael Vick is hot.  Ride him.

Indianapolis 1 over Denver.  My pick:  COLTS.  Indy had a tough week 1 in Houston.  But last week's big win over the Giants suggested to me that they've made big strides.  They've got big momentum, and I see them scoring a lot of points in Denver.

Green Bay 1.5 over Chicago.  My pick:  PACKERS.  The game is in Chicago.  But Aaron Rodgers and the Pack have played well there before, and I expect Rodgers to lead the Packer offense to a good night.

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before
starting to improve the world." -Anne Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment