Tuesday, September 14, 2010

MOEBIUS MEMORY OF THE DAY:
This time it comes from my recollections of elementary school.  And you know what?  When it comes to teasing or negative experiences related to Moebius...I don't remember it being bad at all.  Maybe I just went to a particularly good school.  Perhaps I was just lucky and got to hang with nice kids.  But I don't think that explains it.  I just think children that age are a lot more simple and innocent.

After all, they haven't gone through puberty yet.  Their hormones haven't kicked in.  They haven't entered the difficult time of being a teenager, with all the (sometimes, at least) angst and worries and insecurities that brings.  Instead, in elementary school kids want to play and have fun.  They're more accepting.  That's certainly what I remember.  My classmates in elementary school accepted me for the most part, and we had fun.  And I think this is important to communicate to parents of children with Moebius Syndrome--don't worry too much about elementary school.  Your child will do fine...if my experience and those of others with Moebius I know of are at all representative, anyway.

Now middle school (or "junior high", as they called it where I came from) can be another story.  More on that down the road.

And of course, always remember:
"Associate with well-mannered persons and your manners will improve. Run around with decent folk and your own decent instincts will be strengthened."--Stanley Walker

1 comment:

  1. I really like your Moebius musings and I'm glad you started writing again.

    ReplyDelete