Tuesday, October 23, 2012

STARING
One of our friends on Facebook the other day once again raised the age-old question, if you have Moebius Syndrome.  And that is:  we hate it when people stare at us.  What can we do about it?

The truth is, I've never had a great answer for this.  I hate it when anyone stares at me, and is obviously doing so because of my Moebius, be they young or old.  You can always tell when the staring arises from the way you look, can't you?  Anyway, I hate it.  It makes me uncomfortable.  I've never been sure of what to do about or exactly how to handle it when such a situation comes up.

But in talking with and listening to others with Moebius, here are some solutions that have been brought forward.  1] Just ignore it, especially when it's an adult.  People should know better.  They know its not polite.  Yet if they stare anyway, clearly it's they who have the maturity (and many other) problems, not you.  Always try to keep that in mind.  2] Remember, if it's a child staring at you, don't forget:  they're not doing it to be mean.  They are probably just curious.  They don't dislike you.  They just want to know more about you.  That puts a whole new spin on it, doesn't it?  3] And occasionally I've had the guts to do this:  if someone is staring at you, stare back.  I guarantee you, eventually the other person will be the first one to turn away; and they probably won't stare at you again. :+)

And there's this, something several of my friends always mention:  you can always try engaging the stare-ers in conversation (especially if its a child).  Talk to them.  Say hi to them.  That could either unnerve the meanies, but also it might be an opening to educate someone who is not mean, but who might just be curious about Moebius.  Myself, I find it's hard to get the guts to do that.  Or maybe it's not guts exactly; maybe it's just sometimes you don't feel like you have the energy or the "want-to" to do that.  But several of my friends say it helps.  More of us should try it.

In any case, if others staring at you is something you hate, believe this:  you're not alone.  It's no fun, and nobody should try to tell you that it is.  And there's a bunch of us here who know what you're going through; and that's a good thing, too. :+)

No comments:

Post a Comment