Thursday, October 4, 2012

ANOTHER MOEBIUS SYNDROME HERO
This time it's a mother from the UK who cares for not one, but two sons who both have Moebius Syndrome:
"A SOUTH Tyneside mum knows how beneficial time off from caring can be.

Pat Trotter, 64, of Hebburn, is a full-time carer for her sons David, 39, and Ian, 41, who both suffer from a rare neurological disorder called Moebius syndrome.
The debilitating genetic condition affects just one in 500,000, and sufferers have a catalogue of disabilities including incontinence, mobility issues, visual impairments and partial facial paralysis.
Since her husband’s death, Pat has spent the last 25 years caring for her sons by herself
She said: “My husband died of a heart attack many years ago, but even then I didn’t look for outside assistance as I always felt that as their mum it was my responsibility to look after them.
“I love them both and it is rewarding to see them enjoy parts of their lives, but it can also be tiring to never be away from them, as they require 24-hour care.”
Pat only began to look for care assistance a decade ago and Cast helped supply careers for an afternoon or evening’s respite.
But now the pensioner receives funding from South Tyneside Council to pay wages for caring support.
She said: “I receive help to do a lot of activities together with both Ian and David that gets the three of us out of the house and into social experiences; these include cooking, gardening and creative crafts, which we take part in at South Tyneside College.
“But I also now can have occasional overnight help which allows me to have a small break, and I’ve been known to see a show in London.”

“There’s something very freeing about losing the anchors that have always defined you. Frightening, sad, but exhilarating in a poignant way, as well. You’re free to float to the moon and evaporate or sink to the bottom of the deepest ocean. But you’re free to explore. Some people confuse that with drifting, I suppose. I like to think of it as growing.”--Deborah Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment