Wednesday, December 29, 2010

ENJOYING THE HOLIDAYS?
I have been doing exactly that; and I hope you have, too.  That's why this blog has taken a bit of a break...though we don't intend to leave you completely high and dry.  One thing I do every holiday vacation is read a lot.  I love to read.  One book I've just finished reading...and I read it partly because it was of interest to me, and I thought it would be of interest to many of you with Moebius or with a facial difference...is a book by Jodee Blanco, called PLEASE STOP LAUGHING AT ME:  ONE WOMAN'S INSPIRATIONAL STORY.

It's a story about a woman who was considered different in high school; who didn't always run with the "in" crowd or do exactly what they expected her to do.  As a result, she was horribly taunted, viciously teased, and endlessly bullied.  Some of us know exactly what she went through.  All of us know something about what she went through.  As Ms. Blanco explains:

"From fifth grade through high school, I was kid that nobody wanted to be caught dead hanging out with and the one who rescued crickets while my classmates held competitions about who could squish the most bugs the fastest.  I would rather write poetry than play dodge ball or gossip in the neighborhood tree house and I always defended the underdog even when it meant facing the wrath of the cool crowd.  I had more in common with adults than anyone my own age and would have given almost anything for friendship, except my soul, which is what seemed to be the asking price.  I endured every form of humiliation during my school years, from teasing and taunting, being the target of cruel and twisted pranks, to actual physical abuse.  Years later when people would ask me what hurt most, I would explain that it wasn't the acceptance and love I was being denied that made it hard, it was all the love and friendship I had to give that no one wanted."

I suspect that last part has been true for those with Moebius Syndrome too.  So much love and friendship to give; but because we look and sound different, some don't want it.  Luckily there are many, however, who do, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment