Tuesday, December 7, 2010

ARE WE A CRYBABY NATION?
On Facebook, for instance?  I don't think I agree with this article--there's nothing wrong with sharing, etc--but it is provocative and with so many of us on various online social networks, I thought you'd find it interesting:
"
Erika Oliver is just looking for a little sympathy — and she's not afraid to ask for it.
“My favorite things to complain about are low level things, like if I didn’t sleep or I have a pinched sciatic nerve so my upper back is bothering me,” says the 45-year-old from Portage, Mich. "I know what my reason is. I want a pity party. I want people to go, ‘Oh, that’s terrible.’” From raging sinus headaches to relentless insomnia to those weird toe cramps we get when we wear the wrong shoes, Americans are no longer suffering in silence about their aches and pains.   Instead, we've gone from point A to point B-I-T-C-H and become a crybaby nation, complete with Facebook updates about pulled hamstrings, minute-by-minute tweets on sore throats and runny noses and blogs devoted to everything from back pain to bad cramps.   “I never saw my dad stay home from work or my mother miss work for an illness,” says Barbara Crowley, a 57-year-old social networking guru from Dallas. “But now kids get to take personal days. What the hell is a personal day? Boomers complain more than our parents did and we’ve raised children who complain more than we do. It’s like we started the wave, like in a stadium. The boomers stood up and started the complaint wave.”

Read the whole thing.  You certainly shouldn't miss work over minor aches and pains.  And I suppose endless pity parties...not good.  But hey, sharing what's going on in our days...not a bad thing, either, even if it is a minor ache/pain.

FIND YOUR VOICE
You know, at a Moebius Syndrome conference I attended several years ago, I heard a very wise thing.  A father of a Moebius teenager wondered how he could best help his son.  And one of my fellow Moebius adults said, among other things, to help him in his teen years "find his voice."  Now that sounds very wise.  And it is.  But it's hard to define.  Later, I watched a cable show that tracked high school students from their freshman years to their senior year...to see just what teen-aged kids today think about, go through, experience.  And there was one shy girl highlighted in the show...who, by the time she was about to graduate, had really found herself.

How?  Simple.  She found what really interested her---which, in her case, was reading, writing poetry, becoming involved in plays and the arts.  That was her way to express herself and find her passion in life.  And I think that's a lot of what "finding your voice" is all about.  You just need to explore, to find what really interests you, what you really want to do.  And that's very important for young people with Moebius; but then, it's very important for everyone.  So if you're a parent of a Moebius child, if you're someone with Moebius Syndrome, remember that this is something that you really want to try to do.  And it's never too late to do it.  Explore.  Look around.  Find what really interests you.  Find what's your passion.  I was fortunate.  I discovered mine, and that turned out to be teaching history.  You'll find yours, too.  It doesn't necessarily happen immediately.  It can take time.  Don't worry if it doesn't happen right away.

Journeys sometimes take time.  But it's still worth it, to take it.  Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment