Friday, November 19, 2010

A TRIP DOWN BLOG LANE
Though really this is a trip you need not make.  A writer called "The General Blogger" mentioned Moebius Syndrome on his blog the other day, putting it in a list of "strange" diseases and really "weird" phenomena.  His take on it:
"Simply put, Moebius Syndrome[1] is a condition that causes facial paralysis. It forms at birth and is also thought to be some sort of genetic disorder. Existent in only 2 to 30 people out of every 1 million, Moebius Syndrome affects the person’s ability to follow objects with his or her eyes, and show facial expressions. People with this disorder are also unable to close their eyes and are normally cross eyed.
People with this disease can live a normal life with no major medical issues caused by this disease. However, they will most likely have social issues since they can’t show emotion through their facial expression. It cold also be said that they’re limited in the occupations that they choose as customer service opportunities wouldn’t be a good fit as the public could mistake their intentions and feel that they are disinterested."

Hmmm.  Well, he's right that Moebius is rare.  Otherwise, he's right about little else.  It's simply not true that our lack of being able to show emotion must lead to "social issues."  Nor is it true that we're limited in our choice of jobs, or that customer service jobs are off-limits.  I held a customer-service job for over 2 years back in my college days.  Others with Moebius Syndrome are librarians, teachers, photographers, and nurses.  The General Blogger might want to do some more research next time...

Okay, on to...
FOOTBALL FRIDAY PICKS!
I was only 6-9 last week.  Time to really pick it up...

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Nebraska at Texas A&M.  My pick:  AGGIES.  Ryan Tannahill as Aggie QB makes all the difference.

Ohio State at Iowa.  My pick:  HAWKEYES.  Iowa will come out strong at home, looking to shake off the frustration of last week's upset loss (note that the Hawkeyes did just this kind of thing at home against Michigan State).

Utah at San Diego State.  My pick:  AZTECS.  San Diego State is a good football team--see the tough game they gave TCU.

NFL PICKS:

Cincinnati 6 over Buffalo.  My pick:  BILLS.  Buffalo is on its way up; Cincy lacks focus.

Dallas 7 over Detroit.  My pick:  COWBOYS.  The 'Boys seem to have new life, the Lions are a terrible road team.

Tennessee 7 over Washington.  My pick: TITANS.  Washington's defense is playing horribly; the Titans will run the ball effectively at home.

Kansas City 8 over Arizona.  My pick:  CHIEFS.  They're at home, Arizona is not a good road team, and there remains trouble at QB for AZ.

Green Bay 3 over Minnesota.  My pick:  PACKERS.  The Vikings are aging and fractured in the locker room; Green Bay knows this is a knockout game, and they won't miss the chance.

NY Jets 7 over Houston.  My pick: TEXANS.  The Jets will win this game, but it will (again) be close; the Jets are good, but they don't dominate and this Texans' offense can still score.

Pittsburgh 7 over Oakland.  My pick: STEELERS.  I just don't see the Raiders going all this way east and doing well against an angry Steelers team.

Baltimore 10 over Carolina.  My pick:  RAVENS.  Carolina will have to have their 3rd different starting QB of the year this week; not a good combination when the Ravens come to town.

Jacksonville 2 over Cleveland.  My pick:  BROWNS.  Cleveland, in their performances against the Patriots and Jets and others, have shown us--they're a tough football team.

Atlanta 3 over St. Louis.  My pick:  FALCONS.  Too much talent, defense, and consistency, though the Rams are improving.

New Orleans 12 over Seattle.  My pick:  SEAHAWKS.  Not to win; but to keep it close--Matt Hasselbeck will start at QB and I suspect the Saints may lack a little focus.

San Francisco 3 over Tampa Bay.  My pick:  BUCCANEERS.  Josh Freeman has sold me--this Buc team can get it done, and he knows how to get it done.

New England 4 over Indianapolis.  My pick:  PATRIOTS.  This game is in New England, the Colts just have too many guys hurt.

Philadelphia 4 over NY Giants.  My pick:  GIANTS.  I predict the Giants will come back strong after their poor performance of last week; they've done it before (remember their sack-fest against the Bears).

San Diego 10 over Denver.  My pick:  BRONCOS.  Not to win; but to keep it close...look for Kyle Orton and the Broncos offense to accomplish this by building off their offensive explosion last week.  But the 'Bolts will wind up winning the game late.

No comments:

Post a Comment