Monday, November 29, 2010

MOEBIUS BENEFITS
Natalie Abbott makes an interesting point today in her blog:
"...one of what I think is one of the benefits of being born with a medical condition is that kind of by default I know a lot of stuff that not many other people have cared about or needed to know.  I know a heck of a lot about cranial nerves and what they do (and since most people look at you like you're from outer space when you mention cranial nerves, that's a big one!), a bit about genetics, lots about speech and occupational therapy, and miscellaneous things about other conditions and medical issues that I don't myself face but that I know from my involvement with the Moebius community.  And I like having this information.  I think it makes me more self-aware and a better advocate for my own medical needs."

Sure--as Natalie wrote, knowledge is power.  And it does make us more aware.  We know that there are obstacles in life--but that you can overcome them.  We know that there is racial prejudice and ethnic prejudices out there, against which we must struggle.  But we also are aware of the fact that there are other prejudices, too--prejudices against those with facial and physical differences.  And we know we can overcome those, too.

JANET JACKSON WITH WORDS OF WISDOM
She has an autobiography coming out, and so is doing some promotional interviews and such...but she says she wants to send a message to young women, and it's a message that we in the Moebius/facial difference community can agree with as well, I think:
"It starts with knowing who you are and loving yourself, not looking at this person and that person and saying, "They look perfect, and they're a lot thinner than me." Every body type is different -- that's what makes you unique. What makes you special is you, and you are different from the next person.  And that really begins at home. Peer pressure is very tough. I have a niece who comes home from elementary school, and she's like, "I've got to go work out!" And I'm thinking, Are you serious? She's doing push-ups and sit-ups, and it's crazy. So be a kid as long as you can."

Amen.  

"Enthusiasm is the genius of sincerity, and truth accomplishes no
victories without it.". -Edward Bulwer-Lytton

No comments:

Post a Comment