Monday, August 23, 2010

STORY TIME:
Today let me just tell a couple of stories.  The first one is a...

MOEBIUS MOMENT:
It comes from way back when I was in the 2nd grade.  That would have been 1970  (wow!  A long time ago).  I had just started a new school.  My parents thought it had teachers and programs that could help me.  I was kind of slow to develop.  I didn't talk until I was 3.

But anyway, it was a new school.  I didn't know anyone.  But the teacher, Miss Ralya, was welcoming.  And, I don't know...soon, I didn't feel so afraid.  So one day, early in the school year, at recess, on a warm, sunny day, we were all outside playing...and someone fell down.  Nobody was hurt.  It was nothing serious.  But the child (I forget who it was) didn't get up right away.  So, to be funny, I ran towards my classmate, making a noise like a siren.  Look at me!  I'm an ambulance, come to help. (It was a sound effect my friend Marty from our neighborhood used to make.  I liked it, so I copied it).  Anyway, at first all the kids around me didn't know what to think.  They just stared at me.  But eventually they got what I was doing, and laughed.  Which was what I wanted.  And it seemed from that point on, I was accepted.  I got teased, but it was the same kind of teasing everyone else got.  My memories of my elementary school days are happy ones.  And it just goes to show...children are pretty accepting.  They are curious.  If you have Moebius and they come across you, they want to know what happened to your face.  But once they know they are satisfied.  They don't let prejudices bother them.  Maybe they have not had time to learn them.

In my case, I don't remember my classmates ever asking me what was wrong with my face.  Maybe being that open about it just wasn't done then.  Maybe teachers told them about it when I wasn't around.  But it wasn't much of an issue.  At least, I don't remember it being so.

"For many years I avoided situations where I could be stared at.  I interpreted staring as hostile and prejudicial.  Now, mainly from being around the honesty of children, I've learned some incredibly important life lessons.  They need a few minutes to get used to me, and will take the time to do so unless their parents intervene out of concern that the child is not being courteous.  Now I see that it is normal, that everyone needs a little time to get used to somebody unusual in appearance.  I know I do.  So I get it.  That first ten minutes is not prejudice.  It is adjustment time.  Free time.  Staring is not necessarily pleasant, but it is not hostile.  It's okay."--David Roche, THE CHURCH OF 80% SINCERITY.

MOEBIUS MOMENT # 2:
This one happened just today.  Both my wife and I have trouble with backing a car up, be it from a parking place, out of a driveway, etc.  We can do it.  But with Moebius, you don't have the same vision or balance that others have.  So backing up can be tricky.  To avoid problems, then, when my wife has to be first out on a  given day, I park my car on the street in front of our house.  Right at the curb.  It avoids problems.  Or so you would think.  For, today, our neighbor across the street backed her car out of her driveway...and hit my car, right across the street.  Just an accident, nothing major, nobody hurt.

But our car wouldn't have been in harm's way if we didn't have Moebius.  But we do, and so stuff happens.  We just have to deal with it.  And we will...

1 comment:

  1. funny re: driveway ... I live in a 90 year old house (Back in '46, ... horse property across the streeet no neighbors ... ) with probably a 60 year old concrete driveway and 50 year old curbs, street. Somehow, they never communicated with one another. So the driveway goes down and passes the sidewalk ... and then the curb break is maybe 9" off to the side. Which means that its not just backing out that's the problem, it's that little "twist" at the end. Otherwise .... CLUNKKK! as one goes over the curb itself. And:):):) I have heard the CLUNKKK from cars other than mine:). Maybe the cause is Planning Paralysis?

    ReplyDelete