Friday, October 24, 2014

FRIDAY FOOTBALL PICKS

Last week I was 9-6; I am now 68-44-1 for the year.

COLLEGE PICKS

Ole Miss at LSU.  My pick:  REBELS  27-10.  I really like how Ole Miss is playing; they have an excellent defense and their QB, Bo Wallace, has been very efficient.  I think they'll keep that going this week, albeit in a tough road environment (but Ole Miss has dealt with that before--see their victory at Texas A&M.)

NFL PICKS

Atlanta vs Detroit (in London).  My pick:  LIONS.  Given the Falcons' injuries and how the Lions defense has been playing, they should be able to come out on top here.  But beware--so far every time this year I've picked the Lions to win, they've lost!  Maybe this is where that trend comes to an end.

St. Louis at Kansas City.  My pick:  CHIEFS   21-13.  The Rams in many ways have been amazing, finding ways to win with the rookie Austin Davis at QB.  Last week's win over the Seahawks, though, while impressive, was kind of built on various trick plays.  Look for that not to work against Kansas City's patient, run-oriented attack.

Houston at Tennessee.  My pick:  TEXANS  24-20.  Honestly, with these two teams--both of whom have some talent but both of whom have killed themselves with mistakes lately--who knows?  I'm guessing here that Houston will make one less error and pull this one out.

Minnesota at Tampa Bay.  My pick:  BUCCANEERS  30-24.  Two struggling teams.  I mainly suspect that Tampa is simply due to win one.

Seattle at Carolina.  My pick:  SEAHAWKS  24-14.  Obviously everyone's faith in Seattle has to be shaken a little bit given what's happened to them lately.  It's hard to repeat!  We know that, but every year we have to be reminded of it.  But I think Seattle still has too much talent and coaching for their skid to continue.

Baltimore at Cincinnati.  My pick:  BENGALS   30-27.  Two teams that seem to be going in opposite directions, with the Ravens playing well the last several weeks, and the Bengals not.  But I just have a feeling that this is not the same old Bengals; that they'll pick themselves up this week at home, that they have the talent left to do that; and they'll pull out a close win.

Miami at Jacksonville.  My pick:  DOLPHINS   24-9.  The Jaguars finally got a win last week.  But Miami is playing well now, especially QB Ryan Tannehill; look for that to continue here.

Chicago at New England.  My pick:  PATRIOTS  33-17.  You can't make mistakes and win on the road in the NFL, and that's what the Bears have been doing too often, both at home and on the road; and you can't do it in New England against Tom Brady and the Patriots especially.

Buffalo at NY Jets.  My pick:  NY JETS   26-21.  Just a feeling here--note that Buffalo has injuries to two of its best RBs in C. J. Spiller and Fred Jackson; this is a tough divisional game on the road and the Jets are due.

Philadelphia at Arizona.  My pick:  CARDINALS  24-23.  Look for the Eagles to be a bit rusty after their bye week; and the Cardinals are tough at home, have a good defense, and Carson Palmer is finding Larry Fitzgerald again in the passing game.

Oakland at Cleveland.  My pick:  BROWNS   28-14.  Cleveland laid an egg last week in Jacksonville.  But I don't think they'll do it on friendly home ground against the woeful Raiders.

Indianapolis at Pittsburgh.  My pick:  COLTS   31-27.  A tough game; these teams have been rivals for a long time.  The Steelers are usually tough at home.  But the Colts right now appear to be playing better football.

Green Bay at New Orleans.  My pick:  SAINTS   34-31.  Really overall it would seem the Packers are playing better football; BUT--New Orleans is just a different animal at home.  And they're desperate--they must have this game.

Washington at Dallas (Monday night).  My pick:  COWBOYS  27-10.  It's time to believe in the Cowboys, given what they've accomplished--6 straight wins against some tough opponents.  Meanwhile the Redskins come in and probably will have to start Colt McCoy.  The Cowboys could wrap this one up early.

1 comment: