Sunday, September 22, 2013

THIS WEEK'S NFL PICKS

A little late this week, but better late than never. 
Last week I was 7-9-1...sheesh!

NFL PICKS (home team in CAPS)

Chicago 2 over PITTSBURGH.  My pick:  STEELERS.  I dunno...just a gut feeling.  Surely Big Ben and Troy Polamalu have something left, at home; and Jay Cutler does tend to make some turnovers.

DALLAS 3.5 over St. Louis.  My pick:  COWBOYS.  Both teams are competitive but both teams have issues...look for the Cowboys to use Tony Romo and the passing game to score enough points to win by a TD or so.

Green Bay 2.5 over CINCINNATI.  My pick:  PACKERS.  That Aaron Rodgers-led offense will just be a bit too much for the Bengals to overcome.

Houston 2 over BALTIMORE.  My pick:  TEXANS.  In this case, this Matt Schaub-led offense and its weapons will be a bit too much for the Ravens to overcome.

MIAMI 2 over Atlanta.  My pick: FALCONS.  I know, I know; Miami is riding high with 2 straight road wins and the Falcons are beat up.  But--Atlanta is still a proven playoff team and they still have Matt Ryan.  Don't sell them short.

MINNESOTA 6.5 over Cleveland.  My pick:  VIKINGS.  You just have to wonder about the Browns' mental state, with Trent Richardson now gone and the totally unproven Brian Hoyer starting at QB.  The Vikings have it all going their way here.

NEW ENGLAND 7 over Tampa Bay.  My pick:  BUCCANEERS.  Don't worry, I see Brady and Belichick pulling out another close won.  But that's the thing--the Bucs are capable of keeping this one close, and I don't think the Pats can have fixed all their issues in just a week.

NEW ORLEANS 7 over Arizona.  My pick:  SAINTS.  Drew Brees and the offense haven't quite gotten it going this year like they want to; my bet is they get it going today.

NY Giants 1 over CAROLINA.  My pick:  GIANTS.  Because they can't, and won't, keep turning it over 5 or 6 times per game.

NY JETS 2 over Buffalo.  My pick:  BILLS.  I like Buffalo's defense, and E.J. Manuel I believe is a bit farther along than is Geno Smith.

SAN FRANCISCO 10 over Indianapolis.  My pick:  COLTS.  Not to win, but to keep it close.  Yes, the Niners are good, but they're not an unstoppable juggernaut like some seem to believe; see last week in Seattle.

SEATTLE 19 over Jacksonville.  My pick:  JAGUARS.  Yes, of course, Seattle will win.  BUT, it's simple--when it comes to the NFL, covering that kind of point spread--19 pts--is hard.  I think Jacksonville can keep it closer than 19.

TENNESSEE 3 over San Diego.  My pick:  TITANS.  A tough call.  But remember--this is the Chargers' second straight week a long way from home.  Plus Philip Rivers burned the Eagles so badly because they chose to blitz him; Tennessee's defense is good enough that they won't have to blitz so much and give Rivers the chance to make big plays.

WASHINGTON 1 over Detroit.  My pick:  REDSKINS.  The Lions haven't won in Washington in eons.  Reggie Bush is dinged up and might not be at full strength, or worse.  The Lions' secondary is suspect.  Robert Griffin III might just get back on track.

DENVER 15 over Oakland.  My pick:  RAIDERS.  The Broncos are very good and will win this game, but 1] again, in the NFL your best bet is that 15 is too much to cover, and 2] the Raiders with Terrelle Pryor are a little better than we thought.  They can keep it closer...

No comments:

Post a Comment