Friday, September 13, 2013

FRIDAY FOOTBALL PICKS!!!

It's that time again!  I was only 7-9-1 last week; let's see if I can do better.
First, let's do...

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
Here I'll just pick winners--the home team is in ALL CAPS:

Alabama at TEXAS A&M.  My pick:  CRIMSON TIDE.  Johnny Manziel will score some points and do his thing, for he's that good; but I see A&M's defense as real weakness, and 'Bama will roll up some serious points and contain the Aggies just enough.

UCLA at NEBRASKA.  My pick:  CORNHUSKERS.  Last year the Bruins rolled up major points and yards against the Big Red, but this year it's in Lincoln and I just think Nebraska will be more prepared, and will present UCLA with a tough environment.

NFL PICKS
Remember, here I'm picking against the point spread.  Again, home teams are in ALL CAPS.

ATLANTA 7 over St. Louis.  My pick:  RAMS.  Not to win, but to lose by less than 7, as the Falcons are the better team, but I suspect will be a bit mentally down after a tough loss to the Saints last week, and Jeff Fisher has the Rams improving.

BALTIMORE 6.5 over Cleveland.  My pick:  RAVENS.  Last week indicated to me that the Browns still don't have it together, and I think Joe Flacco and the Ravens will have pulled things together after last week.

Carolina 3 over BUFFALO.  My pick:  PANTHERS.  Cam Newton and that offense will show more oomph this week; E. J. Manuel still has a lot to learn.

CHICAGO 6 over Minnesota.  My pick:  BEARS.  6 is actually a lot of points in a tough divisional game like this, but what last week suggested to me is that, this year, Adrian Peterson just can't carry the Vikings by himself, and Christian Ponder just isn't progressing as a QB.

Denver 4.5 over NY GIANTS.  My pick:  BRONCOS.  It's the Manning Bowl again--lots of pressure; but I just saw a Giants team last week that seemed to have lots of holes--not the usual Giants, and I think Peyton and the Broncos will exploit all those weaknesses. 

Detroit 1 over ARIZONA.  My pick:  LIONS (holding my breath!)  I say that because as a Lions fan, we know that this team historically has long known how to squander prosperity; but you know what--I loved what Reggie Bush brought to the table in game 1, and I see that continuing.

GREEN BAY 7.5 over Washington.  My pick:  PACKERS.  Again, 7.5 is a lot of points to give.  But RGIII did not look comfortable last week at all, and a short week is not enough time to fix things; meanwhile, yes, the Packers lost, but still looked to me like a good team.

HOUSTON 9 over Tennessee.  My pick:  TEXANS.  Yes, the Titans won last week, but Jake Locker threw only for like 125 yards or thereabouts; that won't get it done on the road against a still-solid, good offensive team like the Texans.

INDIANAPOLIS 2.5 over Miami.  My pick:  COLTS.  They struggled at times vs the Raiders; but guess what--in the end, Andrew Luck got it done.  I just think he'll find a way again at home in week 2.

KANSAS CITY 3 over Dallas.  My pick:  CHIEFS.  Yes, the Cowboys looked better last week (but then so did the Chiefs); but here's the deal--in the Jason Garrett Era, the hardest thing for the Cowboys has been consistency...has been following up one good game with another one.  Have they really gotten there yet?  I'm not convinced yet, and until they show it, go with the history...the 'Boys will struggle after having a good game.

New Orleans 3.5 over TAMPA BAY.  My pick:  SAINTS.  I'm surprised the spread is so small here; I guess it's because the game is in Tampa...but the Bucs looked bad last week, they seem to have dissension, and the Saints looked very solid in week 1...NO all the way.

OAKLAND 5.5 over Jacksonville.  My pick:  RAIDERS.  You know what--Terrelle Pryor presents problems for defenses, and I think he's given the Raiders a spark.

PHILADELPHIA 7.5 over San Diego.  My pick:  EAGLES.  The Chargers appear to have regressed the last 2-3 years; they've consistently blown leads, don't seem to know how to win...and now they have to face this Chip Kelly offense, on the road across the country, after a short week...look for the Eagles to fly high again.

SEATTLE 3 over San Francisco.  My pick:  49ERS.  I think both teams are good; but I think the Niners may have the best, most complete team in the NFC, and I think they'll show it on a national stage.

CINCINNATI 7 over Pittsburgh.  My pick:  BENGALS.  The Steelers, with their injuries and lack of a running game, may not be any longer the Steeler team we've always known.

No comments:

Post a Comment