Monday, August 29, 2011

TODAY'S TIDBITS
A few small items that may interest all of you today...

MORE GOOD NEWS--MAYBE--ABOUT CHOCOLATE
"If only everything that looked good, felt good, or tasted good was good for us too. It comes as more welcome news for chocolate lovers, then, that yet another study has linked chocolate consumption with improved heart health. Maybe.
Researchers at the University of Cambridge analyzed the results of seven existing studies and concluded that high levels of chocolate consumption might be associated with a notable reduction in the risk of developing heart disease. Five of the seven studies reported a beneficial link between higher levels of chocolate consumptions and the risk of cardiovascular events. They found that “the highest levels of chocolate consumption were associated with a 37% reduction in cardiovascular disease and a 29% reduction in stroke, compared with the lowest levels [of consumption].”
The studies, notably, did not differentiate between dark or milk chocolate and included consumption of different types of chocolate (bars, shakes, etc.)"

Read the whole thing; we still need to know more about what this all means...

UNCOMFORTABLE JOB INTERVIEWS
We're not alone:
"Keeping one's cool when an interview chair turns into a hot seat can be difficult. Here are some examples of zingers thrown at candidates, and how some of them responded:
"My friends and I have been asked several times what we would do if we got pregnant. Our answer: 'I can't have children. I'm infertile.' It always sets the interviewer on his (never asked this by a woman) heels. We decided that in the event that we did get the job and did get pregnant, we would cast it as a 'miracle' -- and just be joyous with everyone about the heavenly news!"
-- Rebecca Raibley, Massachusetts
"I am a proud American but have a slight accent. When they ask me where I was born and I tell them, they say, 'Oops, we just remembered we have no openings currently.' So I've concluded that answering their illegal question will never get me a job, but if I refuse to answer it or tell them it's illegal, that will not get me the job either. Quite a conundrum."
-- Mo Abraham, St. Louis
"I was asked, 'Isn't [my past boss] a jerk?' Obviously, I wanted to take the high road, and I wasn't sure why the interviewer asked that question. So I responded, 'He certainly makes an impression,' and changed the subject. Since no further questions were asked along those lines, I think it was a test -- maybe of quick thinking under pressure, maybe to see if I would dish dirt. Either way, never say anything negative about a past employer."
-- Marilyn Santiesteban, Boston
"An interviewer once asked me to which charities I donated. I was uncomfortable with this question, as it seems quite personal. Donations are often based on personal criteria: health experience, politics, religion and other individual ideologies. I don't believe people should be 'qualified' by the groups of their choice."
-- Lisa Hanock-Jasie, New York
"I was asked in an interview once, 'How do you get along with your mother?' I responded, 'If you're trying to find out whether I can work well for a female boss, you can just ask me that. If you were my friend, I wouldn't mind answering. But since this is an interview, I find that question inappropriate.'"
-- Dez Stephens, Nashville, Tennessee
Reacting
Coming up with a response isn't always easy when the voice inside you is screaming, "Why the heck is he asking me that?" While panic, anger and confusion are typical responses to uncomfortable questions, checking emotions is crucial to getting the interview back on track. The interviewer may be trying to judge your confidence level and how you handle pressure."

Read the whole thing--there are ways to handle those interview zingers.
And of course, this brings up the question:  if you are interviewing for a job, and you have Moebius Syndrome, should you bring up the subject and discuss it?  My vote on that is yes.  You know your potential employer will notice it.  You know they will wonder about it.  Moebius is not that hard to explain.  The confidence you will show when meeting the topic head-on will really boost your chances for a job, not hurt them.

NATURAL WAYS TO REDUCE STRESS
"Meditation, or mindfulness, only takes 15 to 30 minutes a day, which is possible even in a packed schedule. It’s also incredibly affordable, considering the only tool you need is your own mind. Just give yourself some silent time to let your thoughts run free or just focus on your breathing. That small amount of peace in your day can help you deal with or even release stress.
Whether it’s yoga, Tai Chi or running, exercise works much in the same way as meditation because it gives you the time to be alone with your thoughts (or an opportunity to let them go). However, exercise also has the added benefit of releasing endorphins into the brain, which improves your mood. It also prevents obesity and other health problems, giving you less to be stressed about.
Organization offers a sense of control and peace of mind, and there’s a number of ways you can improve in this regard. If you’re the kind of person who’s always running around, it can help to make lists so that you remember everything. If you’re the kind of person who feels edgy in their own house, tidy up. Studies have shown the mere sight of clutter can put us on edge."

"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."
Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment