Tuesday, August 23, 2011

MORE ADVICE FOR PARENTS OF MOEBIUS CHILDREN
Okay, so let's say you have a Moebius child who as of yet doesn't communicate very well.  Those of us involved with Moebius children know this can sometimes be the case; I was just reading what some of my parent friends on Facebook had to say about this and how it affected their children.  So you may be wondering--can my child go to pre-school?  Can my child go to a regular school?  And how can I help him or her succeed?  Well, there are indeed ways to do it:
"Children with language and hearing disorders face many challenges when they enter the classroom. A lack of understanding could lead to poor academic performance and a sense of social isolation. But clinicians at UT Dallas’ Callier Center for Communication Disorders say parents, teachers and other children may minimize difficulties by following these tips:
1. Talk to such children face-to-face and on their level. This not only helps them realize you are talking to them, but it also helps you better understand what they’re saying.
2. Slow your rate of speech, providing them with more time to process what you’re saying.
3. Simplify your language. Use shorter, simpler but grammatically correct phrases to help with comprehension.
4. Give only one or two directions at a time. This helps improve understanding and encourage participation.
5. Use visual information when possible. Pictures, facial expressions, gestures and simple drawings all aid understanding.
6. Sit such children close to the teacher. This helps them pay attention better and also helps ensure they hear what is said.
7. Give children enough time to respond. After you ask a question or give a direction, wait at least five to 10 seconds because they sometimes need more time to process information.
8. Provide structure and routine as much as possible. This allows children to visualize and anticipate what is expected during the day.
9. Provide some forewarning before transitions. Physically approach a child and tell him or her that you are about to transition to another activity.
10. Give the child a job. Giving a child responsibilities helps with attention and compliance because all children thrive when they feel needed."

And if you have a child with Moebius Syndrome, and you notice that he or she is slow to begin talking, remember this:  I believe I was about 4 years old before I said anything.  When I finally did say something (I guess I said, "where's Karen?"--my sister), my mother was so surprised that she looked back at me and said, "WHAT???"   But eventually I was fortunate enough to move along, get a Ph.D. in history, teach history at the college level...and now in class I probably talk so much I'm sure my students wish I would pipe down. :+)  Sometimes it can take a while.  But breakthroughs can happen.  And once they do, your child can take off.  Have patience.  Keep working at it.

"I would just say treat them like a normal kid," she said. "Their smile's on the inside. Their smile's from the heart."--Vicki McCarrell, on how to treat children with Moebius Syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment