Monday, July 7, 2014

THE FAULT IN OUR STARS--AND US (part 3)

I hope you all had a great 4th of July.  Now that the holiday is over, we can pick up where we left off.  What else can we find in this book?

1] At one point Hazel is having a bad day.  She calls her boyfriend Augustus and one of the things she says is this--that she's having a bad day partly because "...I don't want this particular life..."

In other words, she doesn't want to have cancer; she doesn't want to have to suffer the physical pain of that; she doesn't want to be the Cancer Kid; and so forth.

Do you ever feel that way?  Do you ever wish that you did not have Moebius Syndrome; that you don't want to have that "particular life"; that you don't want to have to deal with the problems and difficulties it brings?

I think many of us deal with Moebius very well, with a lot of courage and toughness; and because of that we don't dwell on topics like this very much.  This is in fact our life and so we have to deal with it, and we do.  However, I think that, if sometimes you do feel the way Hazel expressed her feeling above--it's okay.

2] Later: Isaac, Hazel and Augustus' friend, who also has cancer, had to have surgery to remove his last good eye.  It was the only way to stop his cancer from spreading.  So now he is blind.  Hazel decides to go visit him.  And in doing so, she thinks this:  "I felt bad for him.  Even though I hated the sympathy people felt toward me, I couldn't help but feel it toward him."

Have you ever felt that way?  I think I have.  Life is full of strange, contradictory feelings...

No comments:

Post a Comment