Friday, November 2, 2012

FRIDAY FOOTBALL PICKS!
Last week:  I was 9-7; for the year, I'm 59-70-4.  Still movin' on up...but let's see if I can have a big week this week.

NFL PICKS

ATLANTA 4 over Dallas.  My pick:  FALCONS.  I do not expect a blowout here.  But Atlanta played probably it's best, most efficient game yet last week vs the Eagles.  While the inconsistent Cowboys are...the inconsistent Cowboys.  The Falcons will do enough to cover; they'll win, say, 27-21.

Baltimore 3.5 over CLEVELAND.   My pick:  RAVENS.  The Ravens have injuries on defense, and have not always been a good road team.  That's why the spread on this one is so close.  But I just think the young Brandon Weeden and his Browns will make enough mistakes in this game to allow Baltimore to cover.

Chicago 3.5 over TENNESSEE.  My pick:  TITANS.  My upset special.  Why?  The Bears' offense has sputtered lately.  They had to rely on yet another defensive TD and other breaks to pull out a win over Carolina last week.  They gave up 5 sacks in the first half alone.  That stuff can eventually come back to bite you; you can't rely on the defense scoring every week.  Matt Hasselbeck, at home, is the kind of experienced QB who can avoid big mistakes.

Denver 3.5 over CINCINNATI.  My pick:  BRONCOS.  Peyton and the Broncos are peaking; the Bengals meanwhile don't have the defense to slow them down.

Detroit 4 over Jacksonville.  My pick:  LIONS.  Matthew Stafford and his receivers for another week will do just enough to help the Lions win...and cover.

GREEN BAY 11 over Arizona.  My pick:  PACKERS.  Did you see that Cardinals offense last week?  Especially their offensive line?  Look for lots more Pack sacks of AZ quarterbacks.

HOUSTON 10 over Buffalo.  My pick:  TEXANS.  The Texans are fresh off a bye and a thrashing of the Ravens.  Hard to see how the Bills' D can slow down Schaub, Andre Johnson and company.

Miami 2 over INDIANAPOLIS.  My pick:  COLTS.  Yes, I know--the Dolphins, their defense and Reggie Bush have been quite a story.  But, if you look closely, the Colts' defense has improved too, along with Andrew Luck and other youngsters of course.  And the Colts have played pretty well at home.  I see the Colts surprising folks again.

NY GIANTS 3.5 over Pittsburgh.  My pick:  GIANTS.  These are two good teams and two good QBs; but I like the G-men, as the Steelers have struggled a bit on the road.

OAKLAND 1.5 over Tampa Bay.  My pick:  BUCCANEERS.  Because both Josh Freeman and the Bucs' exciting new RB, Doug Martin, are playing well.

SEATTLE 5 over Minnesota.  My pick:  SEAHAWKS.  Several reasons to pick Seattle:  1] they're at home, and they've played well there--especially their defense has played well there; 2] Vikings QB Christian Ponder has struggled mightily in his last few games; 3] the Vikings as a whole have not been a great road team.

WASHINGTON 3.5 over Carolina.  My pick:  REDSKINS.  RGIII to pick himself up and play much better at home.

NEW ORLEANS 3 over Philadelphia.  My pick:  SAINTS.  Both teams have big problems.  Both teams should be desperate.  Who will be more desperate and, more importantly, fix some of their issues at least for one week?  My guess:  Drew Brees and company.

COLLEGE PICKS:

There are two very big games this weekend.

Alabama vs LSU.  My pick:  CRIMSON TIDE.  The game is in Baton Rouge.  Usually that tends to make you think:  possible upset.  But--this Tide team is like a machine.  I don't see them being stopped.

Oregon vs USC.  My pick:  DUCKS.  Again, it's a road game for an undefeated team (Oregon) against a pretty quality opponent.  Upset, maybe?  But:  the Trojans' defense has issues, has given up points--and this Oregon offense can go, go, go.  The Ducks will be quacking loudly over this victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment