Friday, September 7, 2012

FRIDAY FOOTBALL PICKS!
Yes, folks, it's that time of year again; it's fall, and that means it's football season.  So, due to my love of football and trying to test my football knowledge against the world, one day each week I try to pick some football games, and see how I do.  So here we go...

NFL PICKS
Now here, just remember, what I'm trying to do is pick games _against the spread_.  So, what that means is:  if team A if favored by 6 points to beat team B...and I pick team A...I'm not just saying A will win; I'm saying A will win by _more than 6_.  If I pick B, team B could still lose...but if they lose by less than 6, then I win (I also win of course if B was to win the game).  Just thought I'd explain that for any of you who are not die-hard football nuts like me.  Okay, now on to the picks:  (the home team is in all caps)

Atlanta 3 over KANSAS CITY.  My pick:  FALCONS.  Atlanta was a playoff team last year, and in my pre-season study still looks strong, knows what it's about.  KC may be improved but is still developing.  Go with the playoff team.

Carolina 2.5 over TAMPA BAY.  My pick:  PANTHERS.  I like Cam Newton and that offense.  The Bucs took a step back last year and I'm not sure they've yet made it up.

CHICAGO 9.5 over Indianapolis.  My pick:  COLTS.  Not to win; I expect the Bears to pull it out.  But I like Andrew Luck--I think he's progressed faster than people think.  And Brian Urlacher is dinged up.  Look for a closer game here.

DENVER 1.5 over Pittsburgh.  My pick:  BRONCOS.  I think Peyton Manning looks good.  The Steelers are still adapting to a new offensive coordinator, and Ben Roethlisberger remains dinged up.

DETROIT 7.5 over St. Louis.  My pick:  LIONS.  Remember, the Rams have a new coach in Jeff Fisher and so he's still installing his system.  NFL teams such as the Rams, with a new coaching staff, often struggle early.  Meanwhile the Lions' tandem of Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson should continue to shine.

GREEN BAY 5 over San Francisco.  My pick:  PACKERS.  Just can't go against Aaron Rodgers and that Packers offense at home.

HOUSTON 12 over Miami.  My pick:  TEXANS.  That's a big spread.  But Miami is starting a rookie QB, tough to do in this lead; and the Texans look real strong to me.

MINNESOTA 4 over Jacksonville.  My pick:  VIKINGS.  These are 2 teams that may struggle some this year; but I think the Vikings have more weapons than the Jags at this point.

New England 5.5 over TENNESSEE.  My pick:  PATRIOTS.  The Patriots struggled a bit in the pre-season, but...in the QB battle here, you have Jake Locker vs Tom Brady.  No contest...

NEW ORLEANS 7 over Washington.  My pick:  SAINTS.  I think Robert Griffin will be a good QB for the 'Skins.  But for a rookie QB, starting on the road in the loud Superdome...against a high-powered Saints offense...is a mighty tough task.

NY JETS 2.5 over Buffalo.  My pick:  JETS.  Neither team looked that great to me in pre-season; the Jets' offensive struggles are well-documented.  But look for the Jets to prevail thanks to their still-stout defense.

Philadelphia 8.5 over CLEVELAND.  My pick:  EAGLES.  The Browns start Brandon Weeden, a rookie QB who may develop well, but...doesn't have enough weapons.  Meanwhile the Eagles have plenty of weapons.

Seattle 2.5 over ARIZONA.  My pick:  CARDINALS.  Both teams have issues.  But I think the Seahawks starting rookie QB Russell Wilson is a risky proposition, especially on the road.  Whoever plays QB for AZ at least has experience.

BALTIMORE 6 over Cincinnati.  My pick:  RAVENS.  Maybe Joe Flacco and that offense is coming into its own; and the Ravens are usually a good home team.

OAKLAND 1 over San Diego.  My pick:  CHARGERS.  It's kind of a pick 'em game, both teams have question marks...but my gut tells Philip Rivers will find a way to win this one.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL UPSET WATCH
Here I'll try to pick either upsets, or at least game which will be a lot closer than people think.  This week I have two:

NOTRE DAME 14.5 over Purdue.  My pick:  BOILERMAKERS.  Not necessarily to win; but to keep it close.  Purdue's defense is better.  Notre Dame remember traveled out of the country last week to play in Ireland; kind of a big deal, and a long trip like that is exhausting and can mess with a team's focus.  Look for a closer game.

Vanderbilt 3.5 over NORTHWESTERN.  My pick:  WILDCATS.  Did you see Northwestern put up 42 points last week?  And now they're at home, against a Vandy team perhaps ready for letdown after a tough, emotional loss at home to South Carolina.  Look for an NU surprise.

"Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing."--Vince Lombardi.



No comments:

Post a Comment