Thursday, April 7, 2011

THE DIVERSITY OF MOEBIUS SYNDROME
I was reading the other day about some of the questions those in the Moebius community have considering this condition.  Someone asked, for example, if others have problems sleeping, as did her son.  I know that problems with sleeping certainly do come up within our community.  Some, when they are young, have "night terrors."  Occasionally this goes on into adulthood.  I think I had some of that when I was young.  Fortunately, it died away as I got older.  (Although, as my wife will tell you, I do occasionally have strange dreams...though I think many people experience those!)

So some in the Moebius community have experiences with sleep problems.  Others don't.  Certainly those who do have these issues are the ones to ask about them.  But what this makes me think of is this:  it's a remarkable thing just how much diversity there is in the Moebius community. We all share some facets of the syndrome.  But we don't share all of them.  Different people with Moebius can have very different things.  Not all of us have club feet.  Not all of our eyes are affected in exactly the same way.  Which just goes to show you:  you want diversity???  We got diversity for you, right here.

The most important thing we have in common is that we all do look and sound different, and we all know what it means to confront society with that.  Our diversity means we can all help each other...yet in different ways.  Kind of a nice thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment