Monday, October 25, 2010

MOEBIUS SYNDROME IN THE NEWS
Today a person with Moebius writes in the Detroit News--read what he has to say:
"My biggest dream when I was younger was that one day I might wake up and be just like all of the other "normal" kids at school. Because I was born with a rare medical condition called Moebius Syndrome that caused me to look and speak noticeably different and to have very weak muscle tone, I was a frequent target for my schoolmates to bully and make fun of. I was laughed at, pushed around and called names such as "Dummy," "Stupid," and "Retard" so often that I would frequently leave school an emotional wreck, never wanting to leave the safety of my home ever again.  Yes, sticks and stones can break our bones. But being labeled with hate filled, disparaging words while you are still awkwardly developing as a tender child can really hurt, too.  Thankfully, those emotionally deflating years of childhood didn't last forever. The dreaded days of youthful insecurity slowly morphed into far superior days of self confidence, self-acceptance and even self-love.  Am I perfect? Far from it! I'm still maturing and developing in life just like all of you. But we don't have to be perfect in order to appreciate how wonderfully unique we all are.  Your differences really do make you special. Just think about it. Who ever fell deeply in love with their soul mate because they thought their lover was just like everybody else? Nobody, that's who! We only fall passionately in love with someone when they touch our hearts in unique and magical ways."

Very well said.  Read the whole particle--it's worth it.

"Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and
make your dreams come true." -Ralph Waldo Emerson


1 comment:

  1. And I thought I knew everyone in Michigan...LOL

    ReplyDelete