Friday, December 5, 2014

FRIDAY FOOTBALL PICKS!

I was 9-6 (again!) last week; I am 117-72-1 for the year.

A lot of big college games this weekend; let's start there:

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PICKS

Arizona at Oregon.  My pick:  DUCKS     41-24.  A lot of people are talking about how Arizona has beaten Oregon twice in a row, including earlier this year.  True--but I think Oregon is well aware of that too, and will be prepared.  Oregon has a better team, too.

Alabama vs Missouri.  My pick:  CRIMSON TIDE    38-10.  Nick Saban just won't allow his team to let down now; not after overcoming Auburn.

Iowa State at TCU.  My pick:  FROGS   45-10.  Same thing here--Gary Patterson won't allow his team a letdown now.  A Frogs' win will get them in the playoff.

Florida State vs. Georgia Tech.  My pick--UPSET ALERT:  YELLOW JACKETS  31-27.  Georgia Tech has the kind of option attack that gives teams fits.  Plus, they're good--just ask Georgia.  Meanwhile, FSU has almost literally lived on the edge for the entire season.  At some point, that's going to bite you.

Wisconsin vs. Ohio State.  My pick:  BUCKEYES   34-31.  I know, I know--J.T. Barrett is hurt and so OSU must use their backup QB, Cardale Jones.  Guess what--I bet Jones isn't a walk-on.  He's got talent.  Urban Meyer has had a whole week to get him and his team ready.  He's a good coach, who can play the underdog role this week.  Look for Urban Meyer's team to surprise people.

Kansas State vs. Baylor.  My pick:  UPSET ALERT:  KSU WILDCATS   41-38.  And I pick this for a couple of simple reasons:  first, Kansas State is a good football team with a good coach.  Second:  seems to me a lot of folks at Baylor are kind of already chalking this one up as a win and are already planning their arguments to the selection committee about why they belong in the playoff.  That's a bad mental state of mind for a football game against a good team, and that's also some bad karma/mojo/whatever you want to call it.  Look for the upset here.


NFL PICKS

Pittsburgh at Cincinnati.  My pick:  BENGALS   24-20.  Here's the refrain of the week (again):  who can tell with these teams?  Up and down.  I tend to think that the Bengals' sub-par showing last week (despite a win) had something to do with Andy Dalton having the flu before the game.  This week he's healthier, and I think Cincy has more talent.

St. Louis at Washington.  My pick:  RAMS   27-14.   Shhhh, don't look now--but the St. Louis Rams are playing some good football, and their defense at times is dominant.  Look out, Colt McCoy.

NY Giants at Tennessee.  My pick:  GIANTS   20-17.  2 teams going nowhere, fast.  Why pick the Giants?  Well--somebody's gotta win.

Carolina at New Orleans.  My pick:  SAINTS   31-14.  Did the Saints finally turn the corner after their win in Pittsburgh last week?  My guess:  yes.  Certainly the Panthers haven't turned any corners--instead, they seem to be falling off a cliff.

NY Jets at Minnesota.  My pick:  VIKINGS   13-10.  I don't look for this to be a blowout, because I think the Jets will keep playing for Buddy Ryan, and their defense isn't bad.  But look for the Jets to find another way to lose vs the improving Teddy Bridgewater and the Vikes.

Baltimore at Miami.  My pick:  RAVENS   28-24.  Again--who can tell with these teams?  Both tend to be up one week, down the next.  I see the oddsmakers make the Dolphins the favorite.  But--in a game like this, note the quarterback competition:  Joe Flacco vs Ryan Tannehill.  Who's accomplished more and won more big games?  Right--Flacco.  Which is why:  go with the Ravens to win a big game here.

Indianapolis at Cleveland.  My pick:  COLTS   34-27.  This should be a tough battle; both teams are still very much in the playoff hunt, and Browns fans in Cleveland will be fired up.  But again:  note the QB matchup.  I like Andrew Luck.

Tampa Bay at Detroit.  My pick:  LIONS   27-17.  Maybe the Lions found a good formula last week--throw the darn ball to Calvin (Johnson).  As often as possible!  It worked against the flawed Bears; probably that and others things can work against the flawed Bucs.

Houston at Jacksonville.  My pick:  TEXANS   24-7.  Look for that Texans defense to be in Blake Bortles' face all afternoon, and that will be the difference.

Buffalo at Denver.  My pick:  BRONCOS  27-10.  That Bills' defense is tough.  But on the road, at Denver, against a team with so many weapons...the Bills are in a bit over their heads.

Kansas City at Arizona.  My pick:  CARDINALS   21-17.  A lot of people are already burying the Cardinals.  Obviously their injuries, and the last couple of tough weeks they've faced, haven't helped anything.  But this team still has a good defense; they tend to play well at home, where this game will be played; and Drew Stanton is capable...certainly capable of beating a team like the Chiefs here.  Don't give up on the Cards just yet.

Seattle at Philadelphia.  My pick:  EAGLES   30-24.  Have the Seahawks really turned the corner?  Well, they are certainly playing better...and they certainly have the 49ers' number, as last week showed.  But--they've still made mistakes, even in their wins.  This is a tough road environment.  They really have not played a team and a system like the Eagles yet...and as the Turkey Day game vs the Cowboys showed, it can be a tough challenge.  I think the Eagles will win here in a tough one.

San Francisco vs Oakland.  My pick:  49ERS  24-3.  The Raiders have won a game...that win might be the only one they get all season.

New England vs San Diego.  My pick:  CHARGERS   34-31.  I think Philip Rivers is feeling better and looking better; watching some of that game last week he played vs the Ravens gave me a strong impression of that.  I therefore like this Chargers' offense.  Tom Brady is Tom Brady and he will get his; but I think the Bolts can outscore them here.

Atlanta vs Green Bay. My pick:  PACKERS   38-17.  If the Patriots can't win in Green Bay...then I sure can't see the Falcons doing it.  The Pack and Aaron Rogers are playing real well.

No comments:

Post a Comment