Tuesday, February 25, 2014

HOW TO DEAL, PART 1: NO FACIAL EXPRESSION? NO PROBLEM

Today and tomorrow I am going to do some musings on my own.  It's always good to muse.  So first of all:  you know, some of my Moebius friends on Facebook have been asking really good questions lately.  For example, one brought up this question:  suppose you want to act, be in plays, the theater, etc.  But for the most part we can't show facial expression.  Doesn't that harm our acting?  And let's broaden it out:  doesn't the lack of facial expression make it more difficult for us in general?

These are good questions.  They're natural ones.  I mean, most everybody else in the world can show facial expression.  It helps them communicate.  It's a downer that we can't.  No doubt about it.  But let me use some of my own experience to shed more light on all this.  For there are things we can do.

I teach.  I teach history at the college and university level.  So I do lots of lecturing.  And yes, there are definitely times when I lecture that I wish I could show facial expression.  There are times I want to smile and frown.  But I can't.  Still--there are things I CAN do.  For example:

1] I use my hands a lot.  I use lots of hand gestures.  I never consciously said to myself that I was going to do that.  It just sort of naturally evolved as I talked.  But it helps me.  If I'm making an important point, I punch the air, I point my finger.  If I'm explaining why something happened and there are 3 or 4 reasons why, I hold a hand out and put out fingers for each point covered.  If I'm talking about somebody in history who was especially angry or excited about something, I'll sort of play-pound the table or lectern.  (and if students are sleeping, that'll wake them up.)  These are all ways to make points.  And to show you have energy and that you're into what you're saying.

2] And there are things you can say that can help you express the emotion you wish to get across.  If I'm telling a joke or trying to be funny, I'll often end whatever I'm saying by going "hah hah" or something like that.  If I'm being sarcastic about something or just kind of playing, again, at the end of whatever I said I'll add "I'm of course being sarcastic there" or "I'm kidding."  You can't smile or frown, but you can still let people know how you feel.

3] And don't forget about the voice inflections you can use.  In lecturing, if something is really important to say, I slow down and say it very loudly and carefully.  There are ways to put earnestness in your voice.  There are ways to put frustration in your voice--and at the end of it you can say "argh!" or something.  And all these things can be used if you're just talking to one or two other people.  If you're joking, say so...or add "hah hah."  If something makes you sad or you're feeling sad, say so.  I think the same goes for acting.

Finally, don't forget this:  your real friends, people who know you at all well...they know how you feel.  That's the funny thing about having Moebius.  No, we can't show facial expression.  So how do people know where we're at?  But the people who really know you and care about you--they know if you're happy; they know if you're sad.  So we do show emotions.  We just need to know that we do.  And to maybe use simple ways to let even more of it out.  Think of what might work well for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment