Wednesday, April 24, 2013

PEOPLE WITH MOEBIUS SYNDROME:  WE ARE THE DIVERSITY!

Today I want to be sure and give credit to a couple of my friends on Facebook, because it was actually their posts that sort of inspired what I'm writing here.  I'm referring to Gavin Fouche of South Africa, and Sandy Goodwick of California; and both of them posted today about how Moebius Syndrome can actually come in handy, be helpful to others.  For Gavin, it allowed him to teach his goddaughter a little something about teasing, for she was being picked on a bit at school.  We with Moebius know something about being teased (his goddaughter seemed to sense that immediately).  Meanwhile Sandy was contacted for advice by a former student of hers who now, herself, has a child with a serious physical difference.

So that all got me thinking:  yes indeed, I suppose Moebius Syndrome can be a hidden blessing sometimes, it can be helpful.  But how could we explore that further?  Can we explain more about how it can help us, and others?  Well, what I came up with was this:  you know how Moebius Syndrome can help others, and us, too?  It can if we remember something simple:  we're an excellent example of diversity.

So many places of employment say they value diversity today.  Schools, colleges and universities emphasize it as well.  So if for example you're seeking a job, or you are applying for college or graduate school?  Don't forget to say:  you're the diversity, just as much as are other minorities.  That's one way Moebius Syndrome can help you.

And we can help others.  We know what's like to have physical differences and handicaps.  We know what it's like to have a facial difference; and thus, perhaps, to be teased, or to be stared at.  In a larger sense, we know what it's like to face obstacles in life.  And so many of us in the Moebius Syndrome community are fine examples of the fact that we can teach others something else, too:  how to overcome those obstacles.  We've dealt with a lot of things in life.  We have a unique perspective.  We need to share it.  Isn't that a lot of what diversity is all about?

So how can we help others, and ourselves?  Remind others:  you want diversity?  We're diversity, right here.  Do you want to learn?  Does diversity help you learn?  Well, we have our own unique perspective, and I think we have a lot to teach others.  So don't be shy.  Remind others who and what you are.  Share what you have to teach.  As we've learned today and every day, we are teaching people new things all the time.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that I definetely agree that having my baby born with Moebius IS a blessing.It has taught me so much about myself.Sometimes people say,"Oh, I'm so sorry." I say,"For what?" She is beautiful and perfect and I wouldn't change her.People say,"You seem to be handling this unusually well." I am handling it well...like I said a blessing.

    ReplyDelete