Monday, February 18, 2013

DIFFERENCES

You know, so often on Facebook or elsewhere, one will see people with Moebius Syndrome asking a simple kind of question:  I have this or that physical condition; I have this or that ache and pain...do the rest of you have it?  In other words, so many of us would like to know:  do the less obvious physical issues I have also possess a connection to Moebius Syndrome?

It's a good thing that we ask these questions.  One of the best things about the 21st century is that we all can be connected to each other online, sharing insights, questions, and experiences.  And we need to keep asking any questions that come to mind--to me, the more we talk to each other, the more we ask each other, the more we'll know and the better off we'll be.

I do think this too:  that it's also important to remember that maybe your ache, pain or condition isn't related to Moebius, and/or even if it is, many others may not share it.  So don't be disappointed if they don't.  Because a key fact remains:  Moebius Syndrome affects all of us differently.  I don't think it's going too far to say it this way:  no two people with Moebius are exactly alike.  At least, I don't think I've ever seen two with the exact same symptoms.  Have you? 

And that's just the way Moebius Syndrome is.  Certainly, most of us tend to share certain things in common--the lack of eye movement, the general facial paralysis, club feet, etc.  But other things can be different.  I for example can only see out of one eye at a time; my wife Lisa, who also has Moebius, can use both of hers simultaneously.  My eyes are very much crossed; my wife's, not so much.  My wife can show you a little bit of a smile; me, none at all.

And again, that's just the way it is.  And it's nothing to worry about.  We with Moebius still share a ton of things in common, and can and do help each other with all that we share.  But we're not all exactly alike.  We add a great deal of "diversity" to this world (although, in my humble opinion, too often the world doesn't recognize us when it thinks of diversity); and within our own community, we're diverse.  But then, we're a pretty fascinating, interesting bunch, when you get to know us. :+)

"The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn't being said."--Peter Drucker


No comments:

Post a Comment