Friday, January 18, 2013

FRIDAY FOOTBALL PICKS

Last week I was 2-2 picking NFL playoff games.  I'm 6-2 so far for the playoffs.
Let's see if I can make it 8-2; there are just two big games to pick this week:

AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Baltimore Ravens at the New England Patriots.  My pick:  PATRIOTS.  Yep, just very difficult to pick against Brady and co.  Now, still, I do expect a close game.  Joe Flacco for the Ravens is playing some spectacular QB, and he, with the help of Ray Rice, will move the ball; and the Ravens undoubtedly have some emotion and momentum on their side, wanting to win one for the retiring Ray Lewis.  And the Ravens came oh so close just last year, at this time. to winning in Foxboro and going to the Super Bowl then.  But...again...it's the Patriots, Bill Belichick, and Tom Brady in their way.  Brady and that offense execute just so well.  Their defense has apparently improved.  The Pats are at home.  So--New England 34, Baltimore 31.

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
San Francisco 49ers at Atlanta Falcons.  My pick:  FALCONS.  And here I guess I go against the grain and pick an upset, because wow--I can't find any major analyst picking Atlanta here.  Even though they have home field advantage, a great regular season record, have been in the playoffs for several years in a row now, and this year have found many ways to win.  But, understandably, many are in love with the Niners, with that defense, and with Colin Kaepernick, their running QB.  And it is true--the Falcons have had trouble stopping running quarterbacks this year.  Yes, I know all that.  But:  I still think Kaepernick's lack of experience is going to come back to bite, especially here on the road, in a huge moment, in a very loud, raucous atmosphere (see for example what happened to Kaepernick in games at Seattle and at St. Louis earlier this year).  The Falcons have players and talent on their side of the ball, too; and now that they've found a way to win in the playoffs, that's got to boost their confidence.  Plus, with everyone seemingly picking San Fran in this one, the Falcons can use the "we're being disrespected" card.  It can give teams an extra oomph.  I just have a feeling this is the Falcons' time.  So, in an upset--Atlanta 31, San Fran 24.

"I didn't lose the gold.  I won the silver.--American Olympian Michelle Kwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment