Thursday, July 19, 2012

POST-CONFERENCE MUSINGS (4th in a series)
Today, let's talk about something else I saw at this year's conference in Philadelphia.  It has to do with younger people who have Moebius.

And what I saw this year at the conference was very heartening.  There were a number of younger folks with Moebius there this year.  Here, I'm talking about elementary-school-aged kids, I'm talking about Moebius "tweens" (around the age of 10, 11, 12), and I'm talking about Moebius teenagers.  What was so great was that I saw so many of them hanging out at this year's event.  They were talking to each other, they were running around, they were swimming in the pool...they were just being with each other, doing what youngsters do.

I don't know for sure, I certainly wasn't with them all the time (they wouldn't want an old geezer like me hanging with them!), but I imagine they probably didn't spend that much time talking about Moebius itself.  Kids and teenagers often, I suspect, don't feel that comfortable talking about it too much.  And being with each other, they didn't have to.  They all know it's there.  But even if they don't discuss it, I think the great thing is that still, just hanging out with others who have it has got to be beneficial.  They know now that others like them exist.  Even living far away from each other, they can text and stay in contact.  They know there are others out there with whom they relax, be together, and know that these other young people know what having Moebius is like.  Even if they don't talk about it directly, that's got to be a good feeling.

So I was really glad to see that; it's got to be a good thing.  And see, parents, this is yet another reason for you to take your Moebius child to the conference.  Don't you want to help your child find new, and very special and important, friends?  And we have such talented, exciting young people...from budding artists, to all the singers and dancers we saw at the talent show.  I just hope at the next conference we can get all these young people together even earlier, give them an opportunity to meet and know each other the first day of the conference, so that friendships can have as much time as possible to deepen and grow.  Let's keep building on what we've got going here...

"“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”---Mark Twain (1835-1910

1 comment:

  1. Well said Kevin! It was so great to see them hanging out & having such a blast - it was a really great Conference!

    Lourie Fitz, BC, Canada

    ReplyDelete