Friday, June 8, 2012

"WONDER"
So I am one of those on the growing list of folks who are reading the book "Wonder", by R.J. Palacio.  It's a book about a 10 year old boy with a very significant facial difference, and how he deals with his peers, adults, society...  Obviously we can all see how this book would be of interest to the Moebius community, and I know of number of people are reading it.  I'm not done with it yet; I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the book.  But here are some early impressions:

1] I do think everyone should read it.  Ms. Palacio does not have a facial difference of her own; but obviously she knows of what she's writing.  Judging by the book's insights and perceptiveness, you'd swear this actually was the voice of a 10 year old with a facial difference.

2] A truth:  August (the boy in the story with the physical difference) often doesn't like to look others in the face; he's so conscious of how different he is.  I think many of us in the Moebius community have that problem, too.

3] Another truth:  August at another point in the story says something like:  the main reason that I know I'm different, that I know I'm not an ordinary kid, is because other people don't consider me to be ordinary.  And that's reall it, isn't it?  What's really crucial in defining what's "normal"?  In the end, it comes down to what most people see as being normal. 

4] So many other kids talk about August behind his back; waiting until he passes them in the hall, whispering about him while trying to hide their mouths behind their hands...  They all think August doesn't see this; but he does.  As do we with Moebius notice it, when people talk about us or look at us funny.

I'll post more about this as I read it; in the meantime, if youi're a parent whose child has Moebius???  You especially will want to read this book.  It'll give you great insight into what you child goes through, or will go through.


“Mistakes are the portals of discovery.”--James  Joyce (1882-1941)

"Let your hopes, not your hurts, shape your future." -Robert Schuller

No comments:

Post a Comment