Tuesday, April 3, 2012

COULD YOUR CHILD BE A "BLOOMER"?
As this explains, it can happen to children born with autism.  I suspect it can happen to children with Moebius Syndrome, too.  I'll explain more of what I mean below--but first, let's get a taste of what the article has to say:
"Karen Melville remembers when her son Danny was diagnosed with autism so severe that his doctor feared he might never even talk, much less go to school. “It was like a freight train hit,” said Melville, a 39-year-old mother of two who lives in Brunswick, Ohio.
Five years of intensive therapy have paid off. Danny, now age 7, is OK’d to go to school next year in a mostly mainstream class that will have a total of three “high functioning” kids with autism.  “Now when he finds something he thinks is really cool on the computer -- like a humpback whale swimming -- he wants to show me,” Melville said.
Danny may be one of what researchers are now calling “bloomers” – kids who start out as severely affected but who manage to grow beyond most of their symptoms.
About 10 percent of children who are severely affected by autism at age 3 seem to have “bloomed” by age 8, leaving behind many of the condition’s crippling deficits, a new study shows. And while these “bloomers” still retain some of autism’s symptoms, like the tendency to rock back and forth when stressed or to repeat the same behavior over and over, they become what experts dub, “high functioning,” according to the study published today in Pediatrics. That means their social skills and their ability to communicate have vastly improved."

And I think this can happen with children who have Moebius Syndrome, too.  I think that due to my own story.  When I was very little, I had pretty severe symptoms, too.  It took me a long time to learn how to talk, to communicate.  (Now I suppose my problem is that I never shut up.  :+)  I had a hard time controlling my saliva.  It took me forever, I'm sure it seemed, to be able to print letters, to write my name, to tie my own shoes.

But the same thing happened to me that happens to some children with autism--at a certain point, I bloomed.  I learned how to talk, I learned how to write, I could be "mainstreamed", I did well in school.  I think that, when it comes to speaking, the thing to remember is that persons with Moebius Syndrome usually have a mouth that is shaped differently than others have; we can't get full lip closure; our tongues don't function the same way as others' might.  So we want to talk, we want to make the same sounds and say the same words that others do, but it takes us maybe a bit longer to figure out how we have to use our mouths and our tongues to make those words.  But once we do, look out.  I was eventually lucky enough to get a Ph.D. in history, and I now teach history...

So if you are a Moebius parent, and you have a young child with Moebius, and it seems all very severe--then it's only natural to wonder, will my child get better?  What kind of a life will he or she have?  But take heart.  There are plenty of us Moebius adults who appeared to have it pretty tough; but we bloomed.  And with some hard work and dedication, on your part, and on the part of your child, your child can, too.

1 comment:

  1. Another great post! I think this is essential to remind both parents AND children about. Particularly the moebius kids that feel left behind or frustrated. It isn't their fault. They are just learning to adjust to a unique condition.

    ReplyDelete