Monday, December 5, 2011

A FEMALE CEO HAS 10 DIFFERENT PLASTIC SURGERIES
Wow.  Just wow.  You can read the story here.

Now let's look at this story a bit.  First of all, what has she had done?  From the story:
"I started with liposuction on my thighs. And breast implants.
Then I had a nose job. Twice -- the first one was botched. I had my ears pinned back. My eyes done. A forehead lift. Filler in my lips. And then lip surgery to repair the damage done by the filler. I had a tummy tuck. A facelift. And I've had my teeth veneered."

And in many ways, our CEO friend defends what she did, and does not apologize for it.  She writes:
"Remember that line from the song in A Chorus Line? "Keep the best of you, do the rest of you"? That's my motto. I have a pretty good butt, so I haven't done anything to that. And I like my hands and feet....
I had been in a sexless marriage for several years. After I divorced, I had a relationship with a man who said callous things about my small breasts and generous thighs. I was 24. And I thought, "No one will ever love me; I'm completely undesirable." It didn't matter that I was becoming very successful as an investment banker at a big Wall Street firm -- my self-esteem was zero. And it was the lack of self-esteem that sent me to the plastic surgeon's office....Not only did my romantic options explode, but my career instantly shifted into a higher gear. I was suddenly being courted by senior partners, included in meetings with the CEOs and CFOs of current and prospective clients. I thought, "Wait a minute -- I'm the same person I was before the surgeries." But now I looked like a bombshell in addition to being really good at my work, and it definitely opened up more opportunities. That's when I began to think of the surgeries as an asset and an investment."

Er...okay.  But then...hold on...she goes on to contradict herself.  I mean, if it's all about your body,  it's all about how you look, it's all about looking a certain way, then she certainly shouldn't mind if others respond to her that way also; she shouldn't be bothered by the fact that others respond to her and are attracted to her because of the way she looks.  But...guess what:  she doesn't see it that way.  When asked how all these surgeries have affected her self-confidence, she said:
"Well, it's interesting. Having a killer body gave me a kind of confidence I'd never had. But the way men reacted to me after my first surgery was the way I thought people would treat me if I had suddenly become famous. It was clear the reaction had nothing to do with who I really am. I'm not as vulnerable as I was before my surgeries, and I'm more careful about who I choose to be with. I choose people who love me for me"

Her interviewer then pointed this obvious contradiction--that what she was saying was "ironic", given how much effort she'd put into changing herself.  The CEO didn't have much of a reply:
"At the end of the day, the only thing important to me is whether I have earned my own admiration. I refuse to be judged by anyone else."

And at the close of this piece, the interviewer added this:
""Anonymous" concedes that anything attractive about her came from a dermatologist, a plastic surgeon, or a dentist."

And is that really where you want your "attractiveness" to come from?  Even better, is that really where we should first and foremost LOOK for attractiveness?

Those of us with Moebius Syndrome and/or other physical differences know one pretty important thing:  that the best thing about being attractive on the _inside_ is that it lasts forever--age has no effect on it;; you don't have to depend on dentists or surgeons to get it, and it's free; and in the end, it's the kind of beauty and "attractiveness" that matters most.

"If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a
hundred days of sorrow." -Chinese Proverb


.

No comments:

Post a Comment