Monday, July 25, 2011

INTERESTING INSIGHTS FROM A MAN WITH PARTIAL FACIAL PARALYSIS
He doesn't have Moebius Syndrome.  But Brian does have a facial difference--and he shares some interesting insights that I think can benefit all of us.  Here are some excerpts from his story:
"...it was there from day one, and has been there ever since. My parents never really got into with me how they coped or dealt with it at the time, but judging by the lack of baby pictures, I would imagine it wasn't easy for them.
My childhood was a mixed bag. Naturally, there were the bullies, the "popeye" comments, the being left out from certain groups, but being different as a kid can strengthen your survival skills, and you begin to develop an immunity towards the negative to preserve your sanity and protect your self worth. Looking back, I can see that in that way, my facial paralysis was a sort of "gift" to weed out certain types who might be too shallow or superficial to hang with someone different. On the whole, I still would classify my childhood as pretty normal. The friends I've collected have all been true, the girlfriends, although fewer than desired at the time, all have made me feel comfortable with myself, and I can't think of too many instances where my condition has stopped me from doing anything....

By now, I've learned how to deal with practically all situations that my facial paralysis might put me in. I've learned how to fake a smile for pictures, to politely ignore when strangers ask if I'm seeing a dentist about my abscess, to position myself to sit on the right side of someone at a business meeting, plus other assorted nuances that I've picked up along the way. Of course, I'll have an occasional day when I'll mope, but overall I'm comfortable with who I am, and accept my individuality as my own uniqueness. My self esteem has dramatically improved over the years, thanks to a loving family, and amazing friends who all love and accept me as I am.
So that's my story... it wasn't at all as difficult to write as I had suggested...thanks for reading..and for walking a mile in my smile.."

Amen.  I think Brian makes a couple of excellent points.  First, yes, with a facial difference, maybe when you're young there will be some who will taunt you and refuse to be your friend.  So we should remember:  in that case, those people were probably too shallow and superficial to be good friends anyway.  Second:  the key to finding good relationships in adulthood for people like us?  Simple:  find those who accept you as you are.  They're out there.  And you can find them.  Go for it!

"You must think of failure and defeat as the springboards to
new achievements or to the next level of accomplishment."
-Les Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment