Friday, June 24, 2011

AN EXERCISE MYTH
Here's an important one I found today--that weight is the be-all and end-all:
"Newbies hit the gym, and then weigh themselves every day on the scale.
Week-after-week, they see nodownward trend on the scale and get impatient.
People starting saying, "I haven't lost any weight. This is pointless, I'm not accomplishing anything," said Hutchinson.
After a few months of increased exercise, they are healthier because they've reduced risk factors such as blood sugar levels. Even though a person may not be losing weight, his health has improved in ways that might not be measured.
"They're stuck in this paradigm that weight is the ultimate barometer for fitness. They don't realize the progress they've made and give up."

I am a little fortunate.  I have Moebius Syndrome; but I wasn't one of those who grew up with low muscle tone or a tiny body.  I am over 6 feet and fairly big (it helps that I love to eat).  Still, when I let myself go in my younger days, it was easy for me to become flabby and overweight...and I did.  Fortunately I began exercising and trying to eat better, and have stuck with it for a while.

And I lost some weight.  But even though I exercise every day, I don't continually lose weight.  I'm still over 200 pounds.  But I do feel better...so I think I'm a good illustration that the above is spot-on.  Read the whole piece; some interesting stuff there...

Meanwhile...check out the Moebius Syndrome Charity Auction!
Great items to bid on...and all for a good cause!  Go here to join all the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment